Monday, December 12, 2005

An Excellent Weekend

I mentioned earlier today that I had a good weekend. It's true - I did.

As always the weekend started very early on Saturday morning; beginning with swimming lesson for LJ. We were at the pool by 07:15 and I had a bit of time for a swim before heading off to work. I did 3-4 hours of overtime and then headed back home.

My weekend was about to get excellent.

I had a few aims for Saturday afternoon - the primary one being to build the kids a swing set. I set about this task with much gusto and had a guarantee from LJ that he would be very helpful and listen to whatever I had to say. Predictably he got bored very quickly and buggered off after about 15 minutes.

It was hot - 30+ degrees and I decided to 'man it up' and throw off the shirt. Felt great at the time but I would rediscover later how bad sunburnt ears feel.

Suffice to say I did manage to build the swingset. Some help was required from Mrs G for things like holding posts in place (and I was very grateful for this) but for the most part it was 3.5 hours of my finest work.

After my construction feat was a quick shower and then a BBQ. I fried up some kangaroo steaks, Italian chilli sausages and ordinary bangers for the 'lil ones. Good thing I cooked the plain old sausages because the chilli sausages were very chilli. The kangaroo was outstanding - I ended up cutting it into very fine slices and eating on a bread roll with a delicious little beetroot relish. A very fine BBQ.

And that was pretty much Saturday - a day of domestic achievements :-)

Sunday was cool. We were having a semi-Christmas lunch with some of Mrs G's family and spent the morning bothering around the house getting ready. Unc G came down and prepared up some scrummy little treats (which we all sampled) and, in between times, entertained the kiddies.

Our guests arrived in due course and food was had. I think the highlight was that neither myself nor Mrs G had to do any cooking, and what cooking was done was done by someone who is pretty damned good at it. Made the day very easy and very cool.

Our guests had some kiddies (9 and 4 years old). LGR played with the 4 year old (after the initial shyness was worked through) and the 9 year old loved Hayzey. This left the adults to be adults; and I really enjoyed this.

----

So that's my weekend. It doesn't sound like much on paper but in the real world it was fantastic.