Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Reading

There's been some fantastic material in the Sydney Morning Herald over the past two days. There always is - but this stuff is worth repeating and/or referencing.

---

The first (in order that I saw them) is the article here. It's a cut-down guide to growing food in your backyard - or on your balcony. It really captured my interest because of my recent dietary advice; but also because if it works out I could save a few $$ and also participate in a small fashion to the growing move towards 'planetary responsibility' and self sustainability.

---

The second is a quote. I'll give the quote first:

"Australia at its best would see every single individual, irrespective of their gender or race or ability or country of origin, achieving their full potential and using their greatest strengths in the service of something bigger than they are, that they believe in."

I really like the feel of this. You hear our leaders (and perspective leaders) talk of opportunity and aspirations and hope - but nobody has managed to put into a single, elegant phrase like this. Where did it come from? A lady by the name of Therese Rein. For those who further care it should be pointed out she is the wife of a chappy called Kevin Rudd.

---

The last thing that I feel is particularly worthy of mention is the following letter. No commentary will be needed:

"Just before dawn in the darkness of the trees on the hill behind the Australian War Memorial in Canberra is a treasured time and place for me. As the pinpoint lights of a thousand candles flicker in the War Memorial service down the hill, I stand among the shadows, the whispers all around me.

Shadows of my father, my uncles, my mother, who all served in World War II and Korea. All gone, but there beside me in the trees. All whispering to me of the Australia they helped to keep safe.

The murmurs of the candle bearers faintly waft on the morning chill and slowly hush to silence as the bugler sounds The Last Post. The notes float clearly up through the trees, and the kookaburras stir from their slumber in the softness of dawn's early light.

It is at that moment that I see, hear and feel the great legacy left to me and to all Australians by those who went before us. God bless all those wonderful men and women whose sacrifices allowed us to prosper."