Friday, July 04, 2008

Poet / Know It

I've just come back from a farewell lunch for a very competent and decent gentleman who wasn't given the chance he well and truly deserved at work. Very sad to see a bloke leave under these circumstances and a massive loss for the company. For me it's an object lesson in the impediments that can be placed in a career path when the skills of an individual exceed (or are perceived to exceed) those of their management. I always thought it was a good idea to hire those who could make you look good - but that is only true until those that you hire being to make you look bad ....

---

I had a very engaging conversation with LGR this morning. We were talking about rhymes and coming up with verses when I said "I'm a poet and I didn't know it." Apparently this was very funny - to the point where LGR started chuckling very heartily. After a while I heard him repeat the phrase and start chuckling again. Very, very sweet.

Not too long after we were still rhyming words and I came up with "sugar" - thinking he would never find a rhyme. Wrong.

Booger.

Took him all of 1/3 of a second.

---

Another LGR story. While I was tucking him into bed last night I looked up at his calendar and noticed he had scribbled in the numbers 32 and 33 in the empty boxes after July 31. I made comment (feeling quite chuffed that he had done this) and we got to talking about the picture on his calendar - Larnach Castle in winter.

The question was asked by LGR - "Can we go back there in winter?". I replied this would absolutely happen. Did I promise this? Of course I did. Was it a pinky promise? I had no idea what this was but said of course it was a pinky promise.

The next thing I knew he was reaching out his hand with a cocked little finger to shake with .... I honestly thought I was going to cry. It confirmed that he loved our trip, and wanted to spend more time with us, and it was such as solemn and sweet moment to share with my little/big boy.

---

But it's not all LGR. Hayzey has her moments. This morning (about 05:00) she came racing into our bedroom full of tears. I was laying in bed being quite lazy (I should have been out and about doing some exercise) and Mrs G was having a shower (needed to be at work by 07:00). Hayzey opened the bathroom door, looked in, walked out of the bedroom, came back in, looked in the bathroom again, walked out again and never missed a sob. I called her over to the bed and asked what was wrong. She couldn't find her blanket ....

I asked if she wanted hugs with Daddy and she almost jumped into bed with me. She might be getting older but she is very, very tiny and so sweet when she's not being a typical know-it-all 3 year old.