Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Little Boy is a Big Brother

Hi Folks

Trust all is well. It's been an interesting week for some out there and I trust it will all turn out well in the end :-)

I wanted to let you know about LGR. I believe he is turning out to be the finest big brother an 8 month old girl could ever ask for.

In my wildest dreams I never expected that I kiddie 2 months short of 3 years old could display so much patience, love and loyalty to a younger sibling. LGR is amazing.

Examples .....

A few weeks back LGR was asleep on the floor after 'pool party' and Hayzey was crawling around the place getting into mischief. Within a short period of time she had managed to discover the sleeping boy and hoisted herself onto his head and latched onto his hair with both hands. The reaction? A dismayed LGR cried and asked for help; but didn't respond by pushing Hayzey away or trying to hurt her. That's patience and understanding for you.

Another example:

LGR was playing with his (my) MegaBlocks on the top of an upturned crate. Hayzey became interested and stood herself up to next to LGR. Their versions of the game differed however - LGR was building but Hayzey just wanted to throw. Once again LGR asked us help him move Hayzey rather than deciding to just push her over or whack her with a block.

Third example:

For as long as I can remember LGR has always reacted to suggestions of 'Should we leave Hayzey behind?' with a very emphatic 'No'. If Mrs G or myself say we are all going out LGR is very deliberate in checking that Hayzey is coming with us.

Final example:

Hayzey is walking (assisted) just about all the time. LGR loves grabbing her hands and helping her walk around the house. It doesn't always work but the fact that he wants to help her impresses me mightily.

---

These are just a few examples. This type of thing happens every day. LGR is hardly ever aggressive or dismissive of Hayzey. His capacity to be patient, understanding and affectionate towards her is seemingly boundless. In her own special Hayzey understands this and reciprocates with giggles, smiles and raspberries. I'm even convinced they have conversations.

Mrs G and I have been blessed with the finest kiddies ever to grace the earth.