Monday, March 05, 2007

3 Foot Pigmy; 3 Foot Grass

We've got some long grass at our place. So long that the bottom of the swings on our swingset ar obscured by grass. So long that are solar powered nightlights no longer get enough sunlight to work at night. So long that Hayzey managed to disappear into the grass along the side of our house :-)

I cut the frontyard grass yesterday. This involved emptying the catcher 4 times - and that was using the highest cut possible. So much grass, and it came so suddenly. I'm hoping to get the backyard done 'soon' but there's storms forecast all week so we'll see what happens. At least the house looks like someone lives in it again.

---

We had a pretty big weekend. Swimming lessons first - and the kids are definitely improving all of a sudden. Then it was off to the optometrist. My eyes have barely changed over the past two years. It's nice to know that at least one part of my body is decaying ....

I spent a good chunk of the afternoon on the phone working. It was kind of amusing - the phone was on speaker and the kids kept walking over and talking to me and into the phone. It was even better when they started telling me it was time to go out :-)

Saturday night was a party. LGR has his first proper girlfriend. Sort of. He's smitten by a 7 year old. Apparently he has lots of girlfriends. Just ask him - he's quite candid about it. He doesn't know which one he wants to marry yet ....

At the end of the night LGR wanted to give his girl a kiss, and she wanted to give him a kiss but they were both to shy to do it. It was so innocent and beautifully sweet. Hayzey just wanted to eat lollies. They both passed out in the car on the way home ... which was a relief for us.

Everyone slept in on Sunday. I woke at about 07:00 and Mrs G woke at around 07:45. LGR stumbled downstairs at about 08:15 and Hayzey was woken at 08:45. After a quick bit of brekky and a wash (Hayzey had a complete meal plastered to her hair) we were off to the shops for some groceries and then off to visit Aunt LG and UA. Turned out Nanna was there too.

So we had lunch and some chats and generally sweltered. It was nice. We got home and I mowed - which wasn't nice. Then I showered and that was very, very nice. Both kids helped me cook dinner (paella) in their own special ways and then LGR pronounced he didn't like it. Again. He seems to look at food and then decided it's no good - without actually eating any of it.

And that was about it.

Until 21:30 - when the first flashes started appearing way off to the West. Mrs G and I sat on the deck watching it for a while (and while getting eaten by mozzies). The storm proper arrived at about 22:30, and it was fantastic. There was so much lightning it was like strobe lighting and the thunder sounded very crisp, very 'tearing' and very, very proximal. The house shook several times. It even rained.

LGR woke up and was a bit scared - he wasn't crying or anything but we could hear him calling out for us. I brought him into our bedroom and all three of us watched the storm (Hayzey slept through the whole thing) and then LGR lay down to sleep. I lay next to him and he hugged me as tightly as he could. I loved it. It made me feel very special.

Eventually he nodded off and the storm moved away. I picked up my sleeping boy took him into his bedroom and got told that he loved me. What else do you need in life?