Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sport

Wasn't it an interesting weekend of sport?

I'm registered in the work NRL tipping comp so I had a very big interest in the first round. I picked the Tiggers to beat St George/Illawarra; but was kind of lucky to do so. I meant to change my tip on Friday but ran out of time.

I also predictably picked the Beagles to wallop Canberra - but was wrong. I thought this might be a good year for the Beags but based on Saturday it's just going to be a long year. Things can change though and I hope they do.

All in all I tipped ok and am currently second in the tipping comp (courtesy of countback - we have one game per week where we have to pick the margin and I was only 3 points out on the Newcastle/Parramatta game).

I'm liking Rugby Union a lot these days - probably more so than league. I loved watching the Waratahs go around on Friday night. In the second minute I boldly predicted to Mrs G that there were plenty of points in the Tahs and soon after it was 14-0 (I think after 7 minutes). A 47 point was the biggest winning margin ever for NSW and fair indicator of the game.

And then there was the cricket. What the hell happened there?? Nice batting Mr Ponting. Nice batting Mr Gibbs. I never thought I'd see a 400+ score, and particularly not against South Africa. Once it was in place I seriously thought Australia might win the game by 300 runs but it turns out I was wrong. It kills me but I think this is one of the most remarkable wins in the history of cricket. Possibly even in the wider context of sport. How often does a team/individual break a world record by 10% and still get beaten? Not very often.

---

The Jones Clan are all getting better. Hayzey has cleared up completely and LGR seems to be ok; but still has a croaky voice. Mr and Mrs G are also a bit better. Good moods have returned to our house.

---

Check this out. A nice way to advertise your building. I can't see this happening in Australia :-)