Friday, April 28, 2006

How is it possible ....?

I don't understand what's happening. Petrol costs about $1.40/L right now, and it's school holidays. That should mean less cars on the road. I thought. Somehow I managed to get stuck in a traffic jam on a 3 lane arterial road at 05:50 this morning. How is that possible?

It's one of many things I don't understand. I also don't understand how it is that the Snowy Mountain Scheme can be sold off. I don't understand how it is that nobody really seems all that concerned that senior members of parliament, and apparently the whole parliamentary system, didn't have an inkling about AWB (officially).

I don't understand how it is that Goulbourn's largest dam is now officially empty and yet there is no real government action. At the same time places that are deluged with water (ie Innisfail, Katherine) have people falling over themselves to help.

I don't understand why public transport has to be run at a profit. I don't understand why the Federal Government is running the national budget at a $14 billion surplus but can't find money for education and health (not withstanding the recent mental health initiatives).

I don't understand why a Federal Minister is being asked to take personal responsibility for somebody in another country putting the wrong casket on a plane; while at the same time the ministers involved in the Cole Enquiry are completely wiping their hands of any responsibility.

I don't understand why intrusive media is accepted (that's right - the people must know and the individual is merely a tool ...). I don't get reality TV. Unless it's sport. Sport is the ultimate celebration of life; but is unfortunately at risk of becoming a part of the entertainment industry.

I don't understand why people think they have a right to determine which government programs/areas the taxes they pay are channeled into. You know what I mean - "I don't have a car so don't use my taxes for roads" or "I don't have kids so don't use my taxes for family welfare". Do these people know what the greater good is supposed to be about.

I don't understand why it is that whenever a politician, or public figure for that matter, changes their mind on a position they have held they always do a 'backflip'. Why couldn't it be that they got new information or listened to the opinions of those around them?

I don't understand how it is that I have a Uni degree in Sport Science which I have never used; and how it could be that I am constantly injured. Actually - I do understand this. Doesn't mean I'm necessarily happy about it; particularly the injured part ...

Maybe I'm still far too naive. Quite true. I don't really care for the politics of the world, of life and everything else. What I do believe is that people should try to be good to each other, that we should help out where possible and we should look after those around us. Sometimes it's damned hard to do this - but it's not impossible.

---

'Nuff of that. Kidlets are good, knee is still crook and Mrs G is still studying. Australia won the cricket tonight, NSW won the Rugby and for some reason I've tipped Souths to beat Newcastle in the League. I also tipped Manly to beat Parramatta. I like the look of Manly this year - when they shutup and hold the ball. I don't expect they'll win the comp but they should put in a fair showing.