Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Back Again

Hi There. It's been a while since I posted. A week I think.

Where to start? Athletics. LGR started athletics last Friday night. He's joined a fair dinkum club and is in the Tiny Tots group. He's doing it with a couple of mates. I was proud as punch. LGR doesn't seem to have a competitive bone in his body - at least not when it comes to sport. He loved participating and was dead keen on the running. At one point I was walking along the side while he was running (in a race) all the while looking at me yelling questions: "Am I going fast? Do I look fast?" I was walking as fast as he was running!! It was brilliant and I felt just a bit sentimental.

When he woke up on Saturday he was still asking about athletics and wanted to know all about when I ran - "When you were little". It's at this point we decided he truly did have a great time.

We popped in for swimming lessons and then whipped over to the shops for some groceries and some clothes for the kids. Both Mrs G and myself were fairly disappointed with what was on offer - and more than a bit worried about some of the clothing produced for Hayzey's age. There were plenty of hotpants and skimpy singlets but not nearly as much 'sensible' clothing. This is a sure sign that I'm getting old. Regardless the kids needed some clothing so we took the best of a bad bunch.

Grandad came over for dinner on Saturday evening so we had a BBQ. The kids made quite a good bit of noise and I think a pretty good time was had by all. LGR managed to coerce Grandad into reading two bedtime stories. For some reason this struck me as very funny - maybe because I know we only ever read him one and he's seized an opportunity.

Sunday brought another birthday party for us - this time it was a 10 pin bowling party. All party goers duly assembled at the bowling place at 11am - and 45 minutes we were all waiting for some lanes. It finally got under way and both kids seemed to enjoy it. Hayzey was particularly taken with it - she would carry her own bowl to the lane, let me place it on the kids bowling frame and then joyfully push it down the lane. While the ball travelled down the lane she would wave goodbye, point at it (saying "Look! Look!") and then clap and cheer when it reached the pins.

LGR managed to snare himself two spares but didn't care that much. He wanted a strike and nothing less would satisfy. In the end he spent most of his time looking at the computer games ...