Tuesday, September 05, 2006

All sorts of stuff ...

It's been a while since I last posted and a lot has happened.

I should start with Father's Day I guess. For me it was awesome - the best one I've experienced yet. The mood of the day was setup magnificently by LGR and Hayzey climbing into bed with Mrs G and myself and giving me the sweetest hand made card. LGR conceptualised and designed the card and Mrs G provided some assistance in actually making it. I now have it on permanent display at work (I spend more awake time sitting at my desk at work than I do any other single thing ...).

After the card and some pressies we ventured downstairs for some breakfast (Mexican sausages and eggs) and then checked our flourishing little herb garden (more on that later).

Our first stop was at the shops to pick up some pants for me. I didn't get any (couldn't find anything that I liked) but Mrs G did. Go figure ... While out and about I squeezed in a little exploratory walk thru the Asian grocery store and I was very, very happy with what I found.

From here it was off to lunch - back at Gledswood. The food itself was fairly typical buffet fair. The company was great - and the quantities of beer were fantastic. The kids all had a ball running around and getting filthy and I even managed win a bottle of port.

On the way home we tuned into the footy and I realised that I had just won the work tipping comp. $$$ for me :-)

The rest of the day was spent hanging around home doing nothing much. This was more than enough for me.

----

Herb Garden: It's just an assortment of terracott and plastic tubs and pots with a bunch of herbs in them. Half of the herbs were sourced from Helensburg and the other half from Cobbitty Markets. We have a magnificent assortment including basil, coriander, parsley, mint, asian mint, dill, french sorrel, watercress, sage, thyme, rosemary and a single, magnificent chilli tree. All of them are coming along beautifully and should be ready for eating in the coming weeks.

----

LGR has started to conceptualise what death is about - but still doesn't quite get it. Steve Irwin died yesterday in a very bizarre accident - and it's fair to say that LGR thought Steve Irwin was just about the coolest guy going around. He (LGR) has frequently run around the house/yard/kindy yelling out "I'm Steve Horwin. I hunt crocodiles". He can say Irwin properly now but it was gorgeous to hear him saying Horwin in the past ...

We thought it best to address the issue openly with him and explain what had happened - it was surely to come up in the news or at kindy or somewhere else and we wanted to have first shot. LGR's eyes got very wide and very serious and then he began to look very sad. We asked how he felt and the answer was "Not very good." LGR and Mrs G disappeared upstairs and then reappeared with LGR clutching an Australia Zoo map - "To remember Steve Irwin".

It was heartbreaking.