Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Glamorous Industry

It is so glamorous to be in the IT industry; particularly when you work for a (comparatively) leading edge content company.

I got up at 03:00 to be at work by 04:00 this morning. To get to where I needed to be in the building I had to swipe my ID card at the front door, get past security, swipe my card again to get into a hallway, swipe again to get into a room, identify myself to a certain person and then get them to let me through two more doors before being allowed into a cage containing some highly sensitive and very important equipment.

Then I sat on a chair with my laptop in my lap (where else would it be?) typing away and waiting for things to happen. Every now and then I had to get up to move some cables or turn things on and off. At the end of it all I left via the same series of doors to emerge into the cool night air. From here it was a short walk to my building on the campus and the commencement of a day's work.

90 minutes later the sun came up ....

----

What's happening in the world of the clan? Not much. The last two days have been fairly mellow. Both kids are sleeping through and that is a very nice occurrance. I'm reading the second Billy Connolly biography - which is mostly, but not entirely, about him. Mrs G is back into the study thing after taking a few days following the completion of the first assignment.

LGR is learning that he has to be careful of his arm. There's been a few times when he has been messing around, bumped it and found himself in a world of pain. He did manage a couple of very cute things this evening.

First one: When I left him in bed after saying goodnight he grabbed his Clifford the Big Red Dog book and started reading to Tommy.

Second one: When Mrs G and I went to bed LGR was laying in bed with one arm very casually bend up beind his head; with his head resting on the upturned palm. It was the ultimate look of relaxation. The broken arm was lying perfectly straight by his body.

Hayzey is learning how to play 'the game'. That's the game where tears are used to try to manipulate Mummy and Daddy. She's growing up ...