Tuesday, August 01, 2006

New Floors

We've finally managed to do something we've been talking about for 5 years - replace the slowly decaying and fairly dirty carpet in the downstairs part of our house with some new flooring. It looks fantastic. We chose oak and it blends in very well with the majority of our furniture and looks pretty good with our kitchen cupboards and benchtop. The TV unit will need to be recoloured but that's only a small side issue.

What's particularly interesting is the way the house feels now - much more open and a lot cleaner. There's a quite satisfactory echo when we walk around in shoes and the house feels new again. LGR was even calling it his 'new house'.

The kidlets have been quite sweet. Aunt BJ came over for dinner last evening and we discovered Hayzey has developed enough awareness to figure out when people are laughing, and the ability to join in the laugh. A couple of times we all laughed and were very pleasantly surprised to see Hayz chuckling along with us.

LGR has shown me he can do very basic maths and apply it to the real world. I took 1 piece too many of garlic bread during dinner over the weekend and he informed I had taken exactly 1 piece because I was supposed to have 2 and I took 3, and that meant I got 1 piece less next time which was 1 piece. I was, and still am, astounded. He hasn't been able to reproduce this yet but I'm sure he will.

Finally - I'm planning on putting a bunch more pictures on my alternate web site. Hopefully I'll get around to doing it this week. When it's done I'll be sure to post a permanent look (look to the left of this text and see the links section) so that it never gets lost.

There should be some pictures going up tonight.